R.I.P. ~ Xbox360 ~ 2005-2016 ~ "Beloved Friend and Companion"


Rest In Peace, Xbox360. Beloved Friend and Companion who gamers have spent over 78 billion hours of gamplay with.

After 10 years of nearly-faithful service, the Xbox360 was declared discontinued yesterday by none other than the head of Xbox himself, Phil Spencer. I have the link to his actual post below, but it is official, the console that brought us Halo 3, Dead Rising and Fable 2 has ended its reign to make room for the XboxOne and its rumored successor that is in the works. Online support for the system will remain intact (for now, at least), but as the One is given the ability to play 360 games I honestly dont know how long that will last.

Though old and aged well, the Xbox360 isnt completely dead yet, though after seeing the exodus of the Classic Xbox and the earlier PS systems, I think it is only now a matter of time. While this slightly saddens me, I am also excited to see what Xbox has in store for us in the future.

This is Josh Shipman, signing off.

Phil Spencer's Blog Post

Comments

Popular Posts