"I Am Wrath" (Movie Review)

Hey, everyone, before we get into the new Nicolas Cage movie, "I Am Wrath", I just wanted to touch base with you guys. For those of you who haven't checked in on my Facebook, I am still getting over my no 3 and 1/2 week sickness that has gone from a stomach flu to a cold to a diabetic emergency I got to spend 3 days in the hospital for to a chest cold. I am getting better, even though my voice is trying to run away from me and my lungs are acting up with this sickness.
In other news, many of you should have seen my introduction for The Den's new Profile Manager, Sean Gall. He has been doing a great job and me and him are hashing out some new ideas to help boost The Den's popularity and reader base. I do need you help with that, but I will talk about that after I review John Travolta's new movie.
So, on to the movie, "I Am Wrath". Actually had to look it up, if feels so long since we have seen a fresh Nic Cage movie. But, much to my surprise, Mr. Travolta has been in a number of movies scattered somewhat sparsely throughout the 90's and 2000's. As a matter of fact, he has had almost one movie a year since at least as far back as 1980. But, as I said, his roles seem to have been very downplayed and not very advertised as of late. Even talking to a few other people, the last movie most remember him in is 2001's "Swordfish", where his stellar performance was out-weighed by the presence of Hallie Berry's bare boobs. After doing some digging into "I Am Wrath", I even discovered that he was second choice to play the lead role. If you haven't noticed, since the beginning of this article I have switched back and forth between referring  to "I Am Wrath" as a Nicolas Cage movie and a John Travolta movie. No, I wasn't demonstrating a massive intellectual break or finally fallen off my rocker. Nicolas Cage really was intended to play the lead role of John Hill in the movie back in 2012, but due to delays in shooting he was dropped and John Travolta took the role in late 2015. About the same time original director William Friedkin (most notably for 1973's "The Exorcist") was replaced by Chuck Russel. Mr. Russel has had a number of well-known projects under his belt, including but not limited too 1987's "A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors", 1994's "The Mask", 2002's "The Scorpion King", and an episode of the TV show "Fringe" in 2010.
The plot for "I Am Wrath" is not necessarily an original. In fact, anyone who has seen "John Wick", "Taken", "Red", or even "The Patriot" will have a good idea of the plot. A man who has a checkered and lethal past finally manages to settle down and leave his past behind him when the corruption that is plaguing the city takes the life of his wife. In a fit of vengeance, he digs out the tools of his past trade and seeks revenge and justice on those who took his peaceful future from him. After a lot of shooting and digging into a criminal organization, the man discovered corruption leading to the highest level of city government and brings the corruption to its knees. While "I Am Wrath" has a predictable plot-line, the screen presence Mr. Travolta brings with him seems to make all the difference. I personally think they made a good choice in bringing him on board for the lead role, he brings a depth of character that was missing in movies like "John Wick" and even Liam Neeson's vengeance-driven character in the "Taken" franchise. And while nothing like the chemistry between Brad Pitt and George Clooney, John Travolta's on-screen friendship with Christopher Meloni (in the role of John Hill's best friend and ex-black ops partner, Dennis) is deep and even funny at times. They are able to portray history without burdening the viewers down with a lot of backstory, a trick a lot more writers and directors would serve well to observe.
A few complaints and likes about the movie, just to peak your interest and give you something to look forward too before I sign off for the night:
Some will remember the violent yet classic "Pulp Fiction" from 1994, in which Travolta co-starred in. Those who do will recognize the line borrowed from Samuel Jackson's character for "I Am Wrath"'s tag-line, "I lay my vengeance upon them". I don't know about you, but I love when one movie pays homage too the roots of the movie or the actor's themselves. While some of the newer reboots and estranged sequels may overdue it, I think that homages like this one that are done tastefully and aside from remakes are wonderful call-backs to our cinematic history.
One major complaint I do have is the name of the movie itself and how it is falsely referenced in the film itself. During his quest for vengeance, Travolta's character gets the phrase "I Am Wrath" tattooed onto his back along with a cross. When the tattoo artist asks him where he got the phrase from, John Hill says that is is biblical and comes from the Biblical book of Jeremiah. Now, while there is a phrase in Jeremiah that could be argued the quote was paraphrased from, there is no direct quote or even a similar one coming from Jeremiah in any translation or version. Later on in the movie, as Hill finally eliminates the man who killed his wife, the killer asks him the classic question, "who are you?" Hill replies, of course, with "I... am wrath." If they had left this as the title-reference and just skipped the false biblical reference, I would have no problem with it. But they try to make a biblical reference in order to draw some kind of spiritual element to Hill's quest for vengeance. The tie is false and frail at best, and I think it deteriorates from the character.
Overall, though, I think "I Am Wrath" is a great movie and definitely one to watch. Though rated "R", the movie is fairly low on the blood and gore aspect, and language is at a minimum. I wouldn't recommend it for anyone under 13, but I have to say, as family/vengeance movies go I must say it is now one of my favorites.

Before I sign off, the help I said I would ask for back at the beginning of the article...
Me and Sean got it into our heads that we should try to find a celebrity to interview for The Den as a kind of showcase to bring in some new readers and add something unique to The Den. I know some people out there have at least a sort of connection to actors or the people who are responsible for bringing us our favorite forms of entertainment. So if anyone does have any connections they are willing to make use of for The Den, please let us know so we can try to set up an interview. This could be an amazing opportunity and give our audience base the boost we need.

So, until the next time, thank you for joining us in The Den. Its readers like you who motivate us to keep going, and we always look forward to hear from you either in The Den or on our Facebook or Twitter sites. Thank you and please comment.

This is Joshua Shipman, signing off!

Comments

Popular Posts